Keeping your hygiene routines during travel is essential. This goes the same with taking care of our teeth. If you’re preparing for your next adventure and looking for the best compact electric toothbrush to bring with you, these top rated travel size choices will help narrow it down.
To evaluate travel size electric toothbrushes, we focused on the top three criteria we should look for in our travel toothbrush: technology, brush and bristle, and its portability. You can also ask your dentist about the best type of brush and bristle for your teeth, then go back to this list to find your next travel toothbrush.
Best Rated Electric Travel Toothbrushes
There are various types of electric toothbrushes in the market. We will expand on these three factors to help you evaluate the right toothbrush for your teeth. For example, knowing the correct bristle will help you keep a healthy mouth condition. Most assume that it’s always safe to choose a soft bristle, but sometimes, it can be more harmful.
La Vida Nomad is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Here are the top small electric toothbrushes for travel, in no particular order:
Oral-B Genius Pro 8000
We’ll start off the reviews with one of the top brands in dentistry: Oral-B. The Oral-B 8000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush is the Tesla of smart toothbrushes. Though there’s a newer iteration, the Oral-B 9600, there’s very little difference between the two. It’s still recommended to use the top-of-the-line, more affordable 8000.
The Oral-B 8000 is also a pioneer in integrating a Bluetooth feature in an electric toothbrush, linking it to the Oral-B app that detects the correct positioning while brushing your teeth. The 8000 has the 360º SmartRing tech that tracks the pressure level while you’re brushing your teeth. This data will be compiled in the app to help you create a healthier brushing habit.
Lastly, to help you during your travels, the Oral-B 8000 has a dual-charging device where you can power up both your Oral-B 8000 and smartphone at the same time.
- Brand: Oral-B
- Model: Genius Pro 8000
- Dimensions: 4 x9.2 x 10 inches; 13.1 ounces
- Colors: 4
- Among most hi-tech electric toothbrush in the market
- Compact and customizable features with real-time feedback
- Provides long-term brushing solutions to help you create a healthier habit
- Highly recommended by dentists around the world
- Leans on the pricier scale
- Too many features may become a hassle during your trip
- Bluetooth and app features are not for everybody
- The smartphone mount is a must if you want to use the Position-Detection feature
Oral-B Black Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
The Oral-B Pro 1000 is an older version of the previous item on this list. However, if we’re talking about the best value, the Oral-B Pro 1000 is a clear contender, selling for double digits over triple digit price tag above.
There’s also has a pressure sensor, which stops you from brushing if you’re pushing the toothbrush harshly against your teeth. It also has a timer, so if you’re building that habit, the Oral-B Pro 1000 can also keep you in check.
Comparing to the Oral-B 8000, the Oral-B Pro 1000 Powered by Braun only has a 16-degree angle coverage between the teeth. If you prefer other types of bristles, it’s compatible with multiple everyday bristles and the special Oral-B brushing solutions.
- Brand: Oral-B
- Model: Black Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
- Dimensions: 4.3 x 2.2 x 10 inches
- Colors: 1
- Well-rounded electric toothbrush
- One of the best value options in the market
- Compact and easy to use
- Limited charging capabilities
- May need to purchase an alternative bristle because the standard CrossAction Toothbrush Head is smaller than normal
Oral-B White Action Battery-Powered Toothbrush
If you’re out for an urgent trip and you don’t want to bring your expensive home toothbrush (in case they may be lost or left behind at the hotel), you can bring the handy Oral-B White Action Battery-Powered Toothbrush. This toothbrush retails for less than twenty bucks, but it’s loaded with decent features to make sure your teeth are clean wherever you go.
Just remember that this is a battery-powered toothbrush. There’s an included AA battery in the packet, and the longevity of the battery depends on your usage. It may be simpler than the predecessors above, but if you just need an uncomplicated brush while you’re on the go, the Oral-B White Action is a solid option.
- Brand: Oral-B
- Model: White Action Battery-Powered Toothbrush
- Dimensions: 1.3 x 1.3 x 9.4 inches ; 1.6 ounces
- Colors: 1 (colors may vary)
- Long battery life; no need to constantly recharge
- Affordable price
- Low maintenance
- No timer
- No pressure sensor
- Recommended to be replaced every three months
- Small head brush (not compatible with other bristles)
Philips Sonicare Essence
We’re moving away from the Oral-B brand to Philips, which is making its way in the dental industry. The Philips Sonicare Essence has been receiving rave reviews this year. One of the main reasons for this is that it’s superb at doing its job. It’s a great first electric toothbrush.
As for functionality, it’s very simple. There’s one button that launches the toothbrush’s only cleaning mode. The brush head angle helps you access hard-to-reach areas of the mouth.
The Philips Sonicare Essence, once activated, can provide up to 31,000 pulsating movements per minute. This means that it can give you a deep, invigorating cleaning, which will leave you fresh and clean after every use.
- Brand: Philips
- Model: Sonicare Essence Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
- Dimensions: 1.4 x 1.8 x 7.8 inches ; 12.8 ounces
- Colors: 4
- Much cheaper than others
- Two-minute timer activated
- Interchangeable brush heads
- No other cleaning mode available
- Brush head (the E-Series) is the last of its kind
- Might be too bulky for other people
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart
Next up is another lineup in the Phillips family, the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart. This toothbrush stresses gum health. One of its main features is its ability to clean the gum line for up to seven times better than manual toothbrushes. It’s available in several models, 9300, 9500, 9700, 9750, etc., all with subtle differences. All are fantastic high-tech toothbrushes, though we recommend the 9700.
If you’re also traveling constantly, you may not remember when to replace the brush head of your toothbrush. With the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart, its BrushSync technology will send you an update whenever the brush head needs replacing.
It also has a premium compartment that’s ideal for travelers. However, there’s no brush cover, so keep it in the compartment after use.
- Brand: Philips
- Model: Sonicare DiamondClean Smart 9700 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
- Dimensions: 4.7 x 9.3 x 10.2 inches; 3.19 pounds (package)
- Colors: 2
- Long battery life
- Reliable app features
- Premium design and materials
- Way more expensive than the average electric toothbrush
- Doesn’t come with a smartphone mount
Goby is a newcomer in the dental hygiene industry, but they’re already making waves because of their simplicity-and-function ethos. They created the company because they were “frustrated by today’s oral care offerings.” With this, they created the Goby electric toothbrush to provide a modern solution in the market.
The Goby has a minimalist design and a robust oscillating circular brush head. It has a built-in 2-minute timer with 30-second stop gaps to prompt you in switching to the next quadrant.
Goby only has one button, but you can switch between sensitive and standard modes. The Goby also has a USB Type C charging, so it’s easy to power up on the go. It comes with a sleek, removable tray so your toothbrush doesn’t collect residue on the stand.
What’s incredible about the Goby is their design choices. Customers can pick the color of their Goby toothbrush. Brush heads are also easy to replace. Lastly, Goby may be the only brand on the list that offers a subscription option. This way, you need not repeat the buying process to make sure your toothbrush is replaced regularly.
- Brand: Goby
- Model: Electric Toothbrush
- Colors: 3 (also available in Monochrome and Metallic brush kits)
- Simple design, both compact and light
- Powerful performance
- Fashionable designs for everyone
- Pricier than other alternatives
- There’s only one brush head design